Notice of vacancy:
FEPS IS RECRUITING 1 ACCOUNTANT (Indeterminate Contract / CDI)
The Foundation for European Progressive Studies (FEPS – www.feps-europe.eu) is currently looking for an Accountant.
The recruited Accountant would start as soon as possible (cf. selection timetable below). He/She is to contribute reinforcing FEPS’ financial department. The recruited Accountant will join the FEPS Team based in Brussels and will be actively involved in the management of FEPS’ finances.
FEPS is the leading think tank of the European centre left political family. It works with almost 50 Member political Foundations and think tanks across Europe. It embodies a new way of thinking on the social democratic, socialist and progressive scene in Europe. It seeks to serve as a platform for innovative research, policy advice, training and debates to tackle the long- and short-term challenges that Europe and European integration faces today. It strives for more and better-quality democracy in Europe
To do so, it forges connections and coherence among stakeholders from local, regional, national, European and global levels, and fosters dialogue of between diverse stakeholders from the world of politics, academia and civil society.
FEPS’ work is in most cases carried out in the form of projects with its Members and partners. The outputs of said projects feed into the work of the broader progressive family – starting with the Party of European Socialists (PES), the Group of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats (S&D), their constituents and Member parties, as well as in the broader public debate.
The Accountant’s main tasks:
Under the authority of the FEPS’ Secretary General, the supervision of FEPS’ Director of Operations and the guidance of FEPS’ Financial Advisor, in close collaboration with FEPS staff, the Accountant’s main tasks will be the following:
- Prepare financial statements and reporting on a day-to-day basis
- Post and process journal entries to ensure all transactions are recorded
- Update accounts receivables and issue invoices
- Update accounts payables and perform reconciliations
- Assist in the processing of balance sheets, income statements and other financial statements according to legal and FEPS accounting and financial guidelines (i.e. local GAAP, IFRS and applicable European regulations)
- Review expenses, payroll records etc. as assigned
- Update financial data in databases to ensure that information will be accurate and immediately available when needed
- Prepare and submit weekly/monthly reports
- Ensure efficient liaison with day-to-day suppliers and clients from the design of contractual arrangement onwards to the termination of said contracts
- Participate in the annual closing and auditing processes
- Participate in bookkeeping, filing and archiving
- Participate in further developing and implementing FEPS’ procurement policy
- Contribute to the management of FEPS activities’ related budgets (e.g. project budgeting, expenses’ monitoring and closing)
- Participate in FEPS’ inventory management
The ideal candidate will have the following profile:
- A university or specialized degree in accountancy
- At least 3 years work experience in the field accountancy
- BOB50 certification or proven experience with it
- Computer literacy in MS Office tools including MS Excel proficiency. Experience with financial reporting tools or relevant accountancy software will be considered an asset
- Knowledge of auditing, reporting and procurement provisions applicable in EU law (examples of references: EU Regulation 1141/2014; European Parliament Decision 2017/C 205/02; EU Regulation 282/2011)
- Basic knowledge of EU law related to EU budget management and European Parliament’s financial regulation related to European political parties and foundations will be considered an asset (examples of reference: EU Financial regulation 2018/1046)
- Experience in financial reporting
- Analytical and synthesis skills combined with attention to detail
- Pragmatic approach and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- English and French language (both written and oral) proficiency. Any additional European language will be considered an asset
- An appetite for dynamic organizations where both individual responsibility and team-work are prized
- Readiness to exceptionally travel and adapt to flexible working hours
The position is to be filled out as soon as possible.
The duration of the contract indeterminate (CDI).
The salary – which is paid on a 13,9 months per year basis – will be discussed depending on experience and qualifications. It is part of a generous remuneration package (including benefits such as: a complementary pension scheme, DKV hospitalization insurance, public transport compensation, a professional phone including the right to use it for private purposes or ecocheques).
The workplace will be Brussels (Belgium).
Applicants must be able to work and reside in Belgium.
As FEPS is registered in Belgium, the contract will be under Belgian law.
Applications’ composition and deadline
Please send your application via email (in English) to email@example.com by Friday the 9th of October 2020 at 17:00 CET.
The title of your application email should follow this naming convention: “NAME_Surname_Application_FEPS Accountant”.
The application should contain:
· A cover letter (maximum 2 pages)
· A detailed CV (Europass format)
· The name of 2 referees with the related contact details
Applications not respecting the instructions for completing and submitting the application will not be considered.
The selection timetable will be the following:
· Deadline for submission of complete applications: Friday 09.10.2020 noon CET
· Eligibility check and first assessment of written applications
- This will result in a shortlist of no more than 10 candidates who will be invited for the subsequent step. Candidates preselected at this stage will be requested to provide a Criminal Record Extract (i.e. “Certificat de Bonne Vie et Moeurs” in Belgium) as well as a transcript of the highest degree obtained
· First round of online interviews of candidates with a minima FEPS Director of Operations and FEPS Financial Advisor followed by short written test will take place between 13.10.2020 and 16.10.2020
- This will result in a shortlist of no more than 3-4 candidates who will be invited for the subsequent step
· Second interview of shortlisted candidates with FEPS Secretary General will take place between 20.10.2020 and 23.10.2020
· Communication of the final results to candidates: 26.10.2020
In the course of the entire selection procedure, FEPS is absolutely committed to providing equal opportunities for everyone regardless of their background. We value diversity and lived experience, and acknowledge the underrepresentation of people from certain backgrounds. We strive to provide an inclusive and supportive working environment where all employees feel respected and supported in fulfilling their potential. The equality opportunity principle encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, origins or disabilities.