NOTICE OF VACANCY: SECRETARY GENERAL
FEPS is the progressive think tank at European level, working with almost 50 member political Foundations and think tanks across Europe. It embodies a new way of thinking on the social democratic, socialist and progressive scene in Europe. It seeks to serve as a platform for innovative research, policy advice, training and debates to tackle the challenges that Europe and European integration faces today.
FEPS SECRETARY GENERAL: JOB PURPOSE
The Secretary General of the Foundation for European Progressive Studies (FEPS) is responsible for the successful operational leadership and management of the Foundation according to the strategic direction set by its authorities (General Assembly, Bureau, President and Scientific Board).
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES OF FEPS’ SECRETARY GENERAL
As appointed officer and legal representative, FEPS’ Secretary General acts as its operational figurehead, provides strategic advice and support to the FEPS President and Bureau, and is responsible for overall management of the Foundation’s resources to deliver its Annual Framework Activity Plan.
Under the authority of FEPS’ Bureau, and working in close relationship with FEPS’ elected President and Vice-Presidents, his/her core missions are:
- To adopt overall responsibilities for the operational management of FEPS and secure the efficient and financially sound delivery of FEPS’ strategic aims;
- To monitor the implementation of all actions, programmes and projects necessary for FEPS to achieve its strategic objectives and priorities;
- To advise FEPS’ authorities on securing the formulation and delivery of its Annual Framework Activity Plan;
- To further support the content strategy in order to strengthen the Think Tank role of the FEPS
- To develop cohesive relationships with and among FEPS’ Member foundations, think tanks and closer Partners so as to advance FEPS’ goals while mainstreaming their involvement throughout;
- To ensure effective personnel and efficient financial management of FEPS’ activities;
- To represent and promote FEPS and its activities on a daily basis;
- To ensure an integrated approach to all internal and external communications;
- To facilitate political influence.
Education & professional experience
o At least an MA level university degree from a recognized program;
o At least 10 years professional and extensive management experience; o Experience in a European / international organization and/or academic institution;
o Advocacy experience.
Asset (but could be acquired in post):
o Experience in a field related to FEPS’ mandate.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
o Familiarity with the history and functioning of the European project;
o Knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to non-profit organisations;o Proven experience of HR management;o Proven experience of financial management;o Proven experience of project management;o Familiarity with the world of Think Tanks;o Proven experience in matters of communication and media;o Proven experience in public speaking;o Demonstrable scientific and managerial literacy;o Proficiency in the use of computers for: word, excel, power point, email, internet, social media;o Fluent and articulate in English and preferably at least one other EU working language (any additional language a bonus).
Assets (but could be acquired in post):
o Familiarity with the history, functioning and legal frameworks of European foundations;
o Familiarity with financial management software.
The candidate should have strategic thinking, openness to creativity, innovation and planning methodologies. He/She should prove the necessary experience and emotional intelligence to guide a progressive foundation, which implies strong decision-making capacities, problem solving orientation, mediation capabilities and a collaborative management style.
- The Secretary General is based at the FEPS office, 40 rue Montoyer, 1000 Brussels (Belgium) but must be willing and able to travel;
- The Secretary General will be employed on a full-time basis by FEPS, but hours of work may vary and be irregular;
- As FEPS is registered in Belgium as an AISBL, the contract will be under Belgian law;
- A multiannual contract, including a competitive salary and work package, will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your full application, in English, by email, to email@example.com.
The email title should be in the form “FEPS Secretary General Application – your name”. The closing date for receiving applications is 23:59 CET on the 24th of January 2019. No applications will be accepted beyond this deadline.
To be considered full (which is an eligibility criteria), a given application is to include:
- A Curriculum Vitæ
- A letter motivating your application (max. 1 page A4; min. font size 11; single line spacing; min. 15mm top, bottom, left and right margins)
- A progressive values’ statement wherein you outline your understanding and sharing of said values (max. 1 page A4; min. font size 11; single line spacing; min. 15mm top, bottom, left and right margins)
- A memo on your vision for the future of the Foundation for European Progressive Studies (max. 1 page A4; min. font size 11; single line spacing; min. 15mm top, bottom, left and right margins)
KEY DATES RELATED TO THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS
PHASE 1 – Announcement
- 19.12.2018: Announcement of vacancy notice
- 24.01.2019: Submissions’ deadline
PHASE 2 – First evaluation
- 25.01-05.02.2019: Processing of applications o Eligibility criteria: full application; timely submission; adequacy with looked for profile; CV; Motivation letter; Progressive Values Statement; and Memo on the vision for the future of FEPS
- 06-14.02.2019: Initial evaluation of the 10 best candidates by the members of the Selection Committee
PHASE 3 – Qualified selection
- 15.02.2019: Invitation of the pre-selected candidates for interview
- 21.02.2019: Interviews by Selection Committee
- 27.02.2019: FEPS Bureau makes the final choice
NOTE: The foreseen date for informing all applicants about the results of the selection process is Friday March 1st 2019.