The climate emergency is becoming clearer than ever yet environmental injustice stems from social and economic injustices within our societies. Based on defending social rights, fighting inequalities, caring for our common environment and well-being, progressive values can help provide the answers to this challenge.
Therefore in light of the extraordinary Climate Summit the Foundation for European Progressive Studies (FEPS) and its partners have put together a high-level group of experts under the chairing of the Spanish Minister for the Ecological Transition, Teresa Ribera. Ahead of the summit we will be releasing bold guiding proposals as a result of our work and organising a side three days event in New York from 19th to 21st September.
This will be the second side event of FEPS in the framework of the UN General Assembly. It has become an annual initative under the support of UN Secretary General A. Guterres. The title this year will be “UNITED for Climate Justice”.
Speakers confirmed for the event:
- Mary Robinson, Former President of Ireland. Chair of The Elders. President of the Mary Robinson Foundation for Climate Justice
- Teresa Ribera, Minister for Ecological Transition, Spain. Chair of FEPS Climate Justice Steering Committee
- Sharan Burrow, General Secretary, International Trade Unions Confederation
- Laurence Tubiana, CEO of the European Climate Foundation
- Maria Damanakis, Former EU Commissioner. Global Managing Director of The nature Conservancy, Oceans
- Edel Moraes, National Council of Indigenous Populations, Brazil
And many more to be confirmed.
The escalating global health, climate and economic crises have led to a further deterioration of the world order as we knew it. Moreover, the current United Nations system, built 75 years ago in a very different context, has proved to be outdated to deal with new shared chal... learn more
22nd September - 10.00 - 12.00
Despite the consistent inequalities in access to housing across the EU and the striking consequences that all kind of housing-pathologies have in everyday lives of its citizens, the EU has no dir... learn more
23rd September 2020 - 10.00 (GTM+1)/ 11.00 (CET)
This event marks the launch of 4-country study on the financial position and attitudes towards inequality amongst the top 10% of income earners in four European countries: The UK, Spain, Sweden and ... learn more