INDIA AND SOUTH ASIA: MARCH 2018 DOSSIER
This month, the section on political developments in India focuses on the dysfunctional parliamentary democracy, the shocking bye-election results in north India and the escalations in Kashmir perpetrated largely by Pakistan. The developments include an economic component in the form of farmer protests in Maharashtra.
On the foreign policy front, India-France and India-German ties from the EU have gained salience with the visits of respective European leaders to India. The visit by the King of Jordan and the unfolding political crisis in Sri Lanka are the other topics that are covered.
Read the study
Part I India - Domestic developments
- Standstill of parliamentary democracy?
- Political earthquake in North India?
- Current political developments
- Escalation with Pakistan and in Kashmir
- Impasse in Kashmir?
Part II India - Economic Developments
- Farmers March in Maharashtra
Part III India - Foreign Policy Developments
- India’s re-‘new’-found partner
- German President seeks further ties
- King of Jordan visits India
Part IV South Asia
- Cracks in the ruling alliance in Sri Lanka
Part V Press Articles on major domestic and foreign policy issues
As always, a number of complementary articles provide the reader with a much wider and deeper understanding of the politics in India, South Asia and across the wider region, through an Indian-centred perspective.
- It’s time to reimagine South Asia: On India-China-Pakistan cooperation
- International Solar Alliance: Powering India's growth story
Business Standard online, March 14, 2018
- No Surprises in Xi Jinping's Carefully-Scripted Power Grab in China
The Wire online, March 15, 2018
- Diplomatic brawl with Pak may not end soon
K. C. Singh
Deccan Chronicle online, March 19, 2018
- Exciting developments in China’s Parliament
Lookeast, February 28, 2018
- Arvind Kejriwal’s Apologies Remind Us How Democracy Really Works
Prem Shankar Jha
The Wire online, March 26, 2018
- Chances of Tashkent conference leading to a consensus within Afghanistan look slim
C. Uday Bhaskar
Hindustan Times online, March 26, 2018
- Raja Mandala: A continuing foreign policy consensus
C. Raja Mohan
The Indian Express online, March 27, 2018
- Russia-Baiting and the International Fallout of the Murky Skripal Poisoning Case
The Wire online, March 30, 2018
- Next Door Nepal: Another chink in the wall
The Indian Express online, April 02, 2018