India and South Asia: September 2017 Dossier
The summer months bring a certain lull and calm into Indian domestic politics. Because of this, but also as a result of the long-standing confrontation of Indian and Chinese troops in Bhutan, we continue with our focus on the India-China relations and India's position vis-à-vis the Chinese OBOR initiative. The visit of the Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in India features prominently and has to be seen also in the wider context of the geostrategic implications of the tense bilateral relations between India and China.
Photo: Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. By Drop of Light / Shutterstock.com
Part I India - Domestic developments
- Yashwant Sinha hits at the Modi – government
- Colin Gonsalves: Recipient of The Right to Livelihood Award, 2017
Part II India - Foreign Policy Developments
- The ‘Road’ to Redefining Asia? Examining the Geopolitical Implications of China’s 'One Belt One Road’ Initiative
- The India-Japan Annual Summit in Gujarat
- BRICS 2019 in China
Part III South Asia
· Modi in Myanmar
Part IV Press Articles on major domestic and foreign policy issues
As always, a number of complementary articles provide the reader with a much wider and deeper understanding of the politics in India, South Asia and across the wider region, through an Indian-centred perspective.
Will China resume building roads in Doklam?
Rediff.com, August 29, 2017
- Is the Narendra Modi Bubble About to Burst?
Prem Shankar Jha
The Wire online, September 05, 2017
- Degrees of Separation
C. Raja Mohan
The Indian Express online, September 09, 2017
- Plight of Rohingya
S Nihal Singh
The Tribune online, September 16, 2017
- How does BJP succeed in relentlessly acquiring power, state after state?
Hindustan Times online, September 16, 2017
- Recalibrate Pak policy, reach out to the world
K. C. Singh
Deccan Chronicle online, September 25, 2017
- Why India-Pakistan ties will remain 'frozen for the foreseeable future'
Daily Mail online, September 25, 2017
- Mani Shankar Aiyar On Ram Madhav's Offer Of Dialogue To Kashmir
Mani Shankar Aiyar
NDTV online, September 26, 2017
- The frenemies within
Business Standard online, September 27, 2017
- Here’s why India did the right thing by refusing to send troops to Afghanistan
Economic Times online, September 27, 2017